Last Updated on February 17, 2022
Our editors independently research the best products online to produce this list. We may receive commission on purchases made from the links below but this will never affect our product choices.
Top 10 Best Secateurs
- Gonicc 8″ Premium (Editor’s Choice)
- FELCO Model 2 (Luxury Choice)
- Spear & Jackson CUTTINGSET2 (Best Value)
- Gonicc 8″ GPPS-1002 (Best Professional)
- Okatsune 103 (Best Small)
- Davaon Pro Carbon Steel (Best Anvil)
- Spear and Jackson 6358RS (Best Ratchet)
- FloraBrite Pink (Best Bypass)
- Jardin De France Carbon Steel (Best for Small Hands)
- FLORA GUARD HC109 (Best Carbon Steel)
Giving your garden some TLC is an important task for gardeners. However, choosing the proper gardening tool can be quite challenging for both professional and novice gardeners, especially for garden secateurs.
Stemming, hard matting, and thick brambles, can quickly be taken care of with the help of the best garden secateurs. However, when shopping for garden secateurs, you’re bound to be spoilt for choice since most secateurs come with different features. But worry not, we have done your homework and compiled a list of the ten very best secateurs UK stores have to offer. So read on.
How We Compared Secateurs
To find the right secateurs we considered multiple factors including:
- Design and Size
- Cutting Diameter
- Replacement Blades and Parts
Our team independently examined and compared hundreds of products to help satisfy different needs. We spent our time researching secateurs and consulting customer reviews to ultimately bring you what, in our opinion, are the best options on the market right now.
To find out more about our editorial process, take a look here.
If you’re looking for the best secateurs in the UK, then the Gonicc 8″ Professional secateurs are an excellent choice. These garden secateurs were built with durability and comfort in mind, making them ideal for both professional and beginner gardeners.
Not only do these bypass secateurs boast of a drop forged body and non-slip handles. But also come with quality blades that are made of premium titanium steel with ultra-fine polishing technology.
The Gonicc 8″ Professional garden secateurs come with a sap groove design that prevents the pruning shears from sticking by the channelling off the sap from branches and plants.
It’s worth mentioning that these bypass secateurs can cut up to ¾’ diameter of a tree branch. However, this cutting diameter may vary depending on the species of the tree.
On the flip side, some users may not sit well with these garden secateurs since the blade lacks long-lasting sharpness. And its fitted screws may become loose after a short period of use.
- Features an ultra-strong drop forged body
- It comes with premium titanium steel blades for cutting thicker branches
- It comes with ergonomically designed non-slip handles
- Includes sap groove design for pruning sheers
- These secateurs have a comfortable grip and are safe to use
- Some users may find these secateurs to be of poor quality
- The fitted screw might become loose
- The cutting blades might lose sharpness after some time
Comfortable and lightweight are words that best describe FELCO Model 2 Original secateurs. These anvil secateurs boast a durable set of forged metal alloy handles that are lightweight and easy to grip.
Moreover, these garden pruners come with swiss made precision cutting blades ideal for quick and reliable performance. It’s noteworthy to mention that you can replace the blades of these anvil secateurs if they’re worn out.
With a hardened still bolt at the centre, these secateurs from the Felco brand are not only durable. But also, they are easy to use. So, if you’re looking for a pruning tool that gets the job done, then FELCO Model 2 is an ideal choice.
Bear in mind that these garden pruners come with a safety latch that ensures the anvil blade scissors remain closed when it’s not in use.
On the flip side, some users may not sit well with the safety feature of these garden secateurs since it tends to be quite challenging to unlock the blade once you have locked them for safety purposes.
- Features a ratchet anvil blade with sap groove
- Equipped with forged aluminium alloy non-slip handles
- Comes with high-quality hardened steel blades
- All parts are replaceable
- It’s lightweight and comfortable to use
- Has durable wire cutting notch
- These secateurs might lose sharpness with time
- Some users may find these secateurs to be too bulky
- These secateurs might lock when squeezed, making them uncomfortable to use
If you’re looking for the best set of secateurs in the UK market, then the Spear & Jackson CUTTINGSET2 is an excellent choice.
These secateurs take out the stress during the cutting process and reduce the effort used since one can choose between the anvil and bypass secateurs.
Furthermore, they are ideal for gardeners who are normally torn between settling for the anvil or bypass secateurs.
The Spear & Jackson CUTTINGSET2 comes with an ambidextrous locking catch and SK5 carbon steel blades equipped with long-lasting sharpness. The secateurs blades also boast of PTFE and hard chrome coatings that prevent them from rusting.
That being said, it’s noteworthy to mention that these anvil and bypass pruners from the spear and Jackson family come with ergonomic handles that have a soft grip material and comfortable feel.
However, the safety latch of these secateurs tends to become faulty after some time of use. And, the spring of the anvil sheers may not withstand the test of time.
- It comes with ergonomically soft feel handles for enhanced comfort
- It has hard chromed lower blades for rust resistance
- Equipped with upper carbon steel blades for lasting sharpness
- Features an ambidextrous locking catch
- A pair of gloves is included
- These secateurs might not open and close easily after some time
- The spring of the anvil sheers might easily break
- These secateurs might lose sharpness easily
Are you looking for the best professional secateurs in the market? If yes, then the Gonicc 8″ Professional GPPS-1002 secateurs are an ideal pick.
Not only do they boast a drop forged body and handles. But also, they come with high-quality carbon steel blades with ultra-fine polishing. These garden pruners sit well with trimming, deadheading, and shaping of roses, bonsai and other plants.
These bypass secateurs are made with high-quality materials. And their blades are normally coated with titanium or Teflon coating that helps prevent any rusting caused by the tree pulp.
The handles of these secateurs are also wrapped with a layer of PVC that is very soft and comfortable to use. Bear in mind that these professional secateurs have a cutting diameter of up to ¾”. However, these may vary depending on the tree species and the branches.
On the flip side, it’s worth mentioning that these secateurs may not sit well with very thick branches. And some users may find them to be quite uncomfortable when used for an extended amount of time.
- Features high-quality carbon steel blades
- It has an ergonomic design with non-slip handles
- Incudes a sap grove design for pruning sheers
- It comes with a drop-forged body
- These professional secateurs have an ultra-fine polishing technology
- The safety lock might not withstand the test of time
- It may not be suitable for cutting thicker stems
- Some users may find these secateurs not to be quite comfortable
When it comes to gardening, a wide range of garden tools make work easy, and secateurs are one of them.
That being said, it’s important to mention that Japanese secateurs are the most common garden pruners preferred by experienced and professional gardeners since they tend to offer a swift and smooth cut. And the Okastune 103 bypass secateurs are no exception.
Not only do they have razor-sharp cutting blades that are made from the finest stainless steel. But also, they are the best secateurs that are designed to retain their sharpness for as long as possible.
Moreover, these Japanese secateurs are also ground in two angles that allow one to precisely slice through the wood without harming or damaging the plant.
The blades of these pruning shears also come in a unique shape that allows the plant sap to flow away from the cutters making your pruning duties an easy and enjoyable task. However, some gardeners may find it difficult to get a full grip since these secateurs lack an anti-slip grip.
- It comes with a high-quality Japanese blade
- They are lighter when compared to other secateurs.
- The blades are designed to drain the sap effectively
- Come with a safety locking mechanism
- These gardening secateurs are robust and durable
- Some users may find their locking mechanism to be quite challenging
- The lack of an anti-slip grip may not sit well with some gardeners
- Replacing the blades of these secateurs might be a daunting task
If you’re in the market for robust and durable secateurs UK stores have to offer, then the Davaon Pro Anvil is an outstanding choice.
These secateurs not only boast of extra razor sharpness. But also, they offer a precision cutting experience. And with a cutting diameter of 25mm, these anvil secateurs are suitable for cutting thick, dead, and woody branches.
Furthermore, these secateurs from the Davon brand come with auto-rotating lower handles that are equipped with a finger guard design for safe use.
Bear in mind that these garden pruners feature a secure safety lock, shock-absorbing springs, and grip adjustment lever for ease of use. Moreover, these anvil secateurs are rust-resistant.
Lastly, it’s noteworthy to mention that the Davaon Pro Anvil secateurs are ideal for people with arthritis and those with weak grips. However, some users might find them quite cumbersome to use for an extended amount of time.
- Features an adjustable lever for easy width modification
- Fitted with carbon steel blades, the cutting thicker branches
- The lower handle is equipped with a finger guard for safe use
- Has durable aluminium construction to withstand the test of time
- It comes with an auto-rotating technology for effortless use
- Some users might find it quite uncomfortable cutting through very thin branches with ease
- The safety lock might become loose after some time
- Some users may find these secateurs to be too heavy to use
When it comes to robust wood and thick stems, anvil secateurs are often the go-to option for most gardeners. So, if you’re looking for the best ratchet secateurs, Spear and Jackson 6358RS are an outstanding pick.
These razor-sharp ratchet anvil secateurs have a cutting diameter of approximately 20 mm, and they utilize an anvil weight cutting action. The ratchet action on these secateurs allows thicker materials to be cut flawlessly. And also, they sit well with gardeners who have a weak grip.
The Spear and Jackson 6358RS anvil secateurs boast high-quality carbon steel blades that are coated with PTFE for smoother cutting. The blades are also rust-resistant, thanks to the coating. These ratchet anvil secateurs come with a light cast aluminium body with a metal locking latch, a loop handle and a non-slip grip.
On the flip side, these ratchet anvil secateurs may not sit well with some users since they are not ideal for horizontal cutting.
- Features a ratchet mechanism action that allows for easy pruning
- It’s suitable for thicker woody stems
- It has a lightweight cast aluminium body for a firm grip
- It comes with high-quality carbon steel blades
- Features a metal safety lock for safe use
- These secateurs may lack an instruction manual
- Some users might find these secateurs to be of poor quality
- These pair of secateurs might not offer precise cutting
If you often misplace your garden pruners regularly, then the FloraBrite Pink are the best bypass secateurs for you. These garden pruners, named after their bright coloured handles, are quick to spot when left in garden waste, shrubs, or grass.
It’s worth mentioning that the FloraBrite Pink Bypass secateurs boast of a quality razor-sharp carbon steel blade for precise cutting. And a rubber cushion that prevents jarring caused by over repeated use.
Bear in mind that these secateurs are also available in fluorescent shades of yellow with reflective highlights that normally glow in the dark.
That being said, please note that these garden shears are available in different colourways. They also have a cutting ability of approximately 2.5cm. However, these may vary with the different tree species.
- Features hardened and tempered high carbon steel blades for lasting sharpness
- Made of easy to spot fluorescent shaded handles
- These bypass secateurs are comfortable and easy to use
- It’s suitable for medium to large hands
- It comes fitted with a rubber cushion
- These bypass secateurs might not withstand the test of time
- It may not be ideal for cutting thicker wood or heavy-duty garden duties
- These secateurs might not be suitable for users with small hands
Not only are the Jardin De France secateurs the best secateurs for small hands. But also, they sit well with persons who suffer from arthritis, painful wrists and rheumatism.
The Jardin De France secateurs come with comfortable to hold handles. And razor shape cutting blades that ensure less force is applied when cutting through branches and stems. Moreover, the edges of these secateurs are coated with Teflon, which ensures the blades are rust-resistant and the dint corrode when they come into contact with corrosive substances. The two blades of the Jardin De France secateurs come with a self-sharpening mechanism that ensures the blades are sharp at all times.
- Features Teflon coated carbon blades that are rust and corrosion resistant
- You can purchase a replacement blade separately
- The ratchet mechanism is perfect for cutting thicker branches
- These anvil secateurs have a ratchet mechanism action
- It comes with a thumb safety lock
- Some users might find the quality of the spring to be defective
- The cutting action may not provide precise cutting
- Some users may find replacing the blade to be quite challenging
Sturdy and durable are terms that best describe the FLORA GUARD secateurs. These heavy-duty secateurs are ideal for cutting thinner stems and branches. They also have a capacity of approximately 18 mm.
These high-quality secateurs also boast finely ground razor-sharp blades that are labour saving and make clean and precision cuts.
They also have a capacity of approximately 18 mm. Moreover, the invisible spring design of the pruner gives it an elegant appearance.
The handles of the garden pruner are ergonomically designed. And they come with a comfortable to hold anti-slip grip. In addition, the safety lock on these pruning shears also prevents accidental injuries from occurring when the garden tool is not in use.
- It comes with ergonomically designed anti-slip handles
- Features an anti-corrosive coating with anti-rusting capacity
- This garden tool scissor is sturdy and durable
- Offers precise cutting of thinner branches
- Equipped with an invisible spring design
- The springs might get faulty after some time
- These secateurs may not sit well with smooth cutting
- The rubber grip may become loose after use
What Are Secateurs?
Whether you’re a professional gardener or not, secateurs are garden tools that you should own. These sharp gardening scissors are also known as hand pruners.
Not only are they not strong enough to cut through thick branches, but also, they can be used on thin branches, small plants, and flowers.
Secateurs come in a curved shape that is designed with plant branches in mind. Bear in mind that there are three different types of secateurs- the anvil, ratchet and the bypass.
A bypass secateurs works with a cutting action similar to that of a normal pair of scissors.
That being said, it’s worth mentioning that the name of this gardening tool is derived from how the cutting blades bypass each other when making a cut.
So, if you’re looking for versatile secateurs, we recommend a pair of bypass secateurs since they can withstand the test of time.
On the flip side, anvil secateurs work with a crushing action like a knife on a chopping board. This is whereby the blades of this garden tool meet each other. Anvil secateurs sit well with sturdy branches, thicker stems, thick bushes and deadwood since their cutting blade comes into compressing contact with metal that can bruise the plant tissue.
Ratchet secateurs can either have bypass or anvil blades. However, they use a ratcheting mechanism to ease the effort and ut through stems or branches in a series of stages. You can use these garden secateurs to make tough cuts gradually. That being said, it’s important to note that ratchet secateurs sit well with gardeners who have arthritis.
What is the Difference Between Gardening Secateurs and Sheers?
When buying secateurs, you’re bound to come across garden sheers. Despite these two garden tools having a similar appearance, it’s always wise to settle for one that sits well with your garden and trimming styles.
Bear in mind that both of these garden tools can effectively trim your garden. But still, the big question stands-what is the difference between secateurs and sheers?
Well, secateurs are small gardening tools that are used for trimming branches and plants. They can also be held using one hand.
On the flip side, sheers are larger when compared to secateurs. And also, they are ideal for large pruning jobs and should be used with both hands for better results.
They sit well with large plants and hedges and can also chop big amounts of garden waste. Blade wise, secateurs are small and curved while sheers have long blades.
We can comfortably say that secateurs are more precise when compared to sheers.
What to Look for When Buying Secateurs
Here are some of the important factors you should consider when shopping for the best secateurs for your gardening needs
Design and Size
When selecting your ideal pair of secateurs, it’s always important to factor in the design that it comes in. Not only will this ensure that you settle for the right pruning tool that sits well with the hand you’ll be using to cut with.
But also, it will allow you to choose a comfortable gardening tool that will make pruning a breeze. So, whether you’re left or right-handed, ensure that you settle for a pruner that sits well with you.
When shopping for gardening equipment, it’s always essential to consider the type of safety mechanism it comes with. Bear in mind garden secateurs are no exception to this law. So, when choosing your ideal pruner, ensure it comes with a safety catch since this feature keeps it closed when it’s not in use.
This, in turn, protects and prevents you from unnecessary accidents from the sharp blades.
Before shopping for your new gardening tools, it’s always wise to consider the type of branches or stems that you’ll be working on. This allows you to settle for the right tool that gets the job done.
Replacement Blades and Parts
While this may often be overlooked during the first purchase, it’s important to consider whether your ideal secateurs come with replacement blades or parts.
Since you will need these replacement items eventually, always ensure that you settle for a garden tool with available replacement parts.
Needless to say, small garden tools can be quite hard to find when compared to large gardening tools.
So, it’s always advisable to settle for secateurs that are brightly coloured since it will be easy to find or locate them. Moreover, ensure that you go for a garden pruner that comes with a belt clip or a belt loop holster that can be used to hang it when it’s not in use.
Well, that is it for our secateurs reviews. We hope that the above list will help you settle for the best secateurs in the UK for your gardening needs. However, if we’re to settle for our favourite secateurs, we will go for our editors choice, the Gonicc 8″ Professional secateurs.
These garden secateurs were built with durability and comfort in mind, making them ideal for both professional and beginner gardeners. They boast quality blades that are made of premium titanium steel with ultra-fine polishing technology.
The Gonicc 8″ Professional garden secateurs come with a sap groove design that prevents the pruning shears from sticking by the channelling off the sap from branches and plants.
These bypass secateurs have a cutting capacity of 3/4″ diameter size tree. However, this cutting diameter may vary depending on the species of the tree.