Last Updated on October 17, 2021
Our editors independently research the best products online to produce this list. We may receive commission on purchases made from the links below but this will never affect our product choices.
Top 10 Best Cordless Hedge Trimmers
- Einhell GE-CH 1846 Li-Solo Power X-Change (Editor’s Choice )
- Bosch AHS 45-16 (Luxury Choice)
- WORX WG261E.9 18V Bare Unit (Best Value)
- Flymo9671028-01 Easicut 460
- Makita DUH523Z LXT Lithium-Ion (Best Anti-Vibration)
- Ryobi OHT1855R
- Greenworks Tools 61cm Lithium-Ion
- WORX WG260E.5 18V (Best Multi-Grip)
- Bosch Home and Garden 0600849F70 18 V
- Terratek 20V (Best Lightweight)
If there is something 2020 taught us, it’s we spend more time away from home than we would like. This is because it’s only during the pandemic that we took an interest in what was happening in our homes.
From learning new skills to adopting new hobbies, we recap of doing things we had not done in a long time.
Hedge trimming and lawn upkeep are among the things that we either learned how to do or recapped how to do it. If you have found yourself watching hours on hours of satisfying videos of people trimming hedges.
Then you must be thinking of planting a hedge if you do not have one. If you have one, then chances are you are thinking of making purchases when it comes to trimmers.
Well-manicured hedges are a direct representation of how much detail we pay to our homes. From levelled hedges to themed hedges, all these are achievable depending on what you are going for.
To get the best results, you need to have the right tools. For hedge manicure, you need hedge trimmers. These come in different sizes and brands.
If you are going for a flexible and easy-to-move-around trimmer, you need to consider getting yourself a cordless hedge trimmer. When it comes down to shopping for trimmers, you are bound to be spoilt for choice.
But not to worry, we have your back. We have compiled a detailed list of the best cordless hedge trimmers UK stores have to offer.
Cordless Hedge Trimmer Reviews
The Einhell GE-CH 1846 Li-Solo Power X-Change cordless hedge trimmer is an excellent garden tool that delivers an outstanding performance. Not only does it boast diamond cut and laser-cut blades, but it also has long-running times when compared to other hedge trimmers.
With a cordless battery-powered design, this hedge cutter runs on 18V of power, and it contains a metal gear that gives it powerful trimming gear performance on heavy trimming tasks. Its 52cm blade length and 46 cm cutting length that gives one a decent, extended reach when working on wider hedges.
This hedge cutter comes with a 1.5Ah rechargeable battery that gives the user a decent run time of about 30minutes.
However, please note that you may be required to purchase the battery and charger of this hedge trimmer separately. And you may be required to use noise-cancelling headphones when using this machine as it tends to get noisy.
- The battery charge level is visible thanks to the installed battery lamp indicator.
- It has a metal gearbox included to offer a powerful cutting performance
- Easy to handle thanks to the included two-hand safety switch
- It features counter-rotating laser cutting blades for easy reach of corners and edges
- Installed with thin steel blades to ensure the highest precision for cutting small to medium-sized hedges
- A battery and charger might not be included
- Some users might find the blade lengths to be relatively short
- The narrow cutting capacity might not sit well with some users
Durable and robust are terms that best describe the Bosch 060084A171 cordless hedge trimmer. This 36v battery-powered cordless hedge cutter comes with a Bosch quick cut technology and an anti-blocking system that makes trimming hedges a breeze.
With a 54-cm blade length and a 20 mm spacing, its laser-cut and diamond ground swiss precision blades can slice through thick branches easily. It also comes with a 36V battery that has a charging time of about 45 minutes.
Bear in mind that the Bosch 060084A171 cordless hedge trimmer comes only with one battery. But you might be required to purchase a charger separately. Also, the running time of this hedge trimmer may not sit well with some users.
- It features an ergonomic design with a soft-grip handle
- It comes with a diamond ground blade for clean and precise cutting
- It’s lightweight and easy to use
- It offers a powerful cutting performance thanks to the installed powerful motor
- It has a protective blade cover when not in use
- Some users might find the length of the cable to be relatively short
- Cutting of thicker branches might be quite challenging
- It might lack an Anti-blocking system
The WORX WG261E.9 18V Bare Unit is one of the best lightweight cordless hedge trimmers in the market. Not only does it boast of a two-handed multi-grip switch system that prevents the accidental starting of the appliance. But also, it comes with a front handle that allows multiple grip positions for various cutting angles.
This battery-powered cordless trimmer weighs 2.4kg and comes with dual action cutting blades for smooth cutting and reduced vibration.
These blades are designed to cut forward once and backwards once, ensuring that your hedges get a clean crispier look. It also comes with a blade protector tip that makes trimming along the walls and paths a breeze.
The safety guard that is strategically located in front of the multi-grip position handle helps in keeping off dirt and debris from the user.
It’s important to mention that this cordless hedge trimmer has a power share battery that is interchangeable with other 20V MAX WORX tools.
On the flip side, note that the WORX WG261E.9 18V Bare Unit may not have batteries included in your purchase. Additionally, the cutting blade may not sit well with thick or dry twigs.
- It comes with a laser-cut blade for precise and clean cutting performance
- Suitable for various cutting positions thanks to its multi-grip position front handle
- It features a dual-action blade for reduced vibration and a smooth cutting experience
- It has a two-handed multi-grip system for a safe user experience
- It includes a safety guard to keep much of the debris off the user
- Some users might find the blade to be too tiny
- The two-hand double safety switch might not sit well with some users
- Batteries might not be included
With a powerful 450W motor, the Flymo9671028-01 Easicut 460 electric hedge trimmer is designed for small gardens. This hedge trimmer comes with a centralised handle design that ensures it’s comfortable to use.
It’s noteworthy to mention that the Flymo9671028-01 Easicut 460 electric hedge trimmer is corded. However, its 10 m power cord gives one a suitable length for ease of movement.
With a 45cm blade and 19mm blade gap, this corded trimmer can be used to trim short small hedges and shrubs with ease.
On the downside, please note that this hedge cutter may not provide one with cordless freedom when attending to your hedges. Moreover, caution may be required when using this hedge trimmer since it’s limited when it comes to safety features.
- It has a dual-action system for a precise finish
- It features a long cutting blade
- It comes with a central handle design for easier and safer use
- Two-handed safety function
- It has a lightweight design
- It might not be suitable for cutting larger branches
- The motor might overheat after some time
- Some users might find the three safety action lock features quite challenging to operate
The Makita DUH523Z Cordless LXT Lithium-Ion is one of the best cordless hedge trimmers UK stores have to offer. It boasts a soft rubberised grip and comes with an anti vibrating structure that allows one to trim Hedges easily.
Powered by an 18V Lithium-Ion battery pack, this hedge cutter has a cutting power of up to 1350 strokes per minute. Remember that replacing the blades of this hedge trimmer is a breeze since you don’t need to dismantle the appliance.
It also has a two-handed operation switch, a warning system that alerts you when it needs to be recharged and a 52cm blade with a 15mm cutting diameter.
However, it’s important to note that the battery should be purchased separately since this cordless hedge trimmer is sold as a bare tool.
- It features a two-handed operation experience.
- Replacing the blade made a breeze without disassembling the housing
- A battery capacity warning lamp is included for better protection
- It includes an instant start-up for ready use
- It has an Anti-vibration system to enhance a continuous cutting performance
- It might require two hands to operate the hedge trimmer
- Some users might find the hedge trimmer to be relatively lightweight
- It might not be suitable for cutting thicker branches
Next up on our best cordless hedge trimmer reviews is the Ryobi OHT1855R. Not only is it an excellent garden tool, but also it has outstanding performance when compared to its counterparts. This black and yellow hedge trimmer come with a blade length of 55 cm and a cutting capacity of 22mm.
This versatile and efficient telescopic hedge trimmer boasts an anti-jamming system that helps prevents accidental blocking when in use. It also has a rotating handle that provides optimum comfort in different cutting ways. Moreover, its looped front trigger gives one better control when trimming hedges.
It’s noteworthy to mention that this cordless trimmer has a powerful cutting performance thanks to its high torque nature. The Ryobi OHT1855R also comes with a hedge debris and dirt sweeper that enables easy removal of clippings.
On the downside, it’s important to note that this hedge trimmer may not sit well with thick branches. Its 20minute run time also makes it less suitable for trimming large areas or lengthy hedges.
- Comes with an anti-jam mechanism technology for smooth cutting and precise results
- It has a rotating handle and HedgeSweep feature for ease of use in multiple positions
- It has large tooth gaps efficient for the cutting capacity of bigger branches
- The handle features a comfort grip and a handguard for better trimming of corners and edges
- The high torque motor included offers powerful cutting performance
- The rotating handle may not sit well with some users
- Some users might find it to be relatively heavy
- The gearbox might get disintegrated after some time
If a long reach hedge trimmer is what you are looking for, then the Greenworks Tools 61cm Lithium-Ion is ideal, being also one of the lightest cordless hedge trimmers. Powered by a 40V lithium battery with fade-free power, this hedge trimmer doesn’t suffer memory loss with repeated charging.
With a blade length of 61 cm and a cutting space of 19mm, this hedge trimmer has a cutting speed of 3000 cuts per minute.
The blade can also be rotated at a 90° angle when trimming hard to reach hedges. Moreover, its rear handle has a 180° rotation for multiple cutting angles.
Furthermore, this cordless hedge cutter is compatible with different batteries, and its weight tends to vary with the battery of your choice. It also has an anti-jam function that allows the motor to reverse the movement of the blade when it’s stuck.
Last but not least, it has an adjustable handle that allows one to shear the sides of bushes and hedges easily without any tiresome or unpleasant contortions.
- It’s comfortable and lightweight
- It offers sufficient blade length and power for an even trim of edges
- The dual-action blade technology reduces vibration and noise levels for a great garden tool
- It has an easy to start feature
- The Anti-jam mechanism function on this trimmer enhances the flow of the blade
- The charger and battery pack might not be included in the purchase
- The motor might overheat or burn over time
- This hedge trimmer may not sit well with larger hedges
The WORX WG260E.5 18V cordless hedge trimmer makes an ideal option if you have a lot of trimming to do. It’s also compact and lightweight, thus increasing its ease of use.
When using this hedge trimmer, WORX recommends using an interchangeable Max Lithium battery that can be used on other 20V MAX WORX tools. This cordless hedge trimmer also features a comfortable multi-grip front handle that suits various cutting angles. Moreover, it has dual cutting blades for reduced vibration and increased smooth cutting performance.
It also boasts of a two-handed multi-grip switch system that prevents accidental starting of the appliance. Furthermore, it also has durable housing and weighs approximately 2kg minus its battery.
The WORX WG260E.5 18V cordless hedge trimmer comes with a blade sheath, 20 V20AH battery and a 20V 20AH charger.
That being said, please note that this cordless hedge trimmer may not be ideal for heavy trimming, despite it works wonders on medium to light trimming tasks.
- The laser-cut blade feature ensures precise and clean cutting performance
- It comes with a multi-grip front handle efficient for various cutting positions
- It features a full-length blade guard for protection when it’s not in use
- It has a dual-action cutting system that offers to hold comfort and ease of use
- A two-handed multi-grip switch function for safe use is included
- Some users might find it to be quite challenging when working on tough twigs
- It might not be suitable for a one-handed operation
- The charger might become faulty after some time
The Bosch Home and Garden 0600849F70 18 V is an excellent pick if you’re after a light and mobile hedge trimmer. It comes with a front handle that allows one to use it in different positions. And its lightweight nature minimises the strain on the arms and back when trimming hedges.
This 18v battery-powered hedge trimmer can be used to cut both thin and thick stems of up to 20mm. It also boasts of an effective anti-block system that has a blade reversal rate of nanoseconds. Moreover, its intelligent circuitry facilitates uninterrupted trimming.
The Bosch Home and Garden 0600849F70 18 V also has a blade tip protector that helps cut effortless on the ground and along the walls. Did we mention that this cordless hedge trimmer has a no-load stroke of 2600 per minute?
- It has a Syneon chip that offers effective energy control for the effortless hedge cutting process
- It comes with a Bosch anti-blocking system for uninterrupted cutting experience
- It features a compact fast charger
- It can be used to trim along the walls and ground thanks to its blade tip protector
- It has a pretty impressive battery life that can last for approximately 120 minutes
- This Bosch trimmer may not sit well with thick stems
- Some users may find its maintenance to be quite challenging
- Its battery power may not sit well with some users
Lightweight, robust and safe, are words that best describe the Terratek 20V Cordless hedge trimmer, our last option in our battery hedge trimmer reviews. Not only does it boast an 18/20 max motor, but also it comes with a 51 com long cutting blade. The length of its blade allows you to cut through branches of about 15mm thick.
The Terratek 20V Cordless hedge trimmer comes with an integrated hand safety guard, a two-stage safety start trigger system, and blade brakes that automatically stop the blade from running when the trigger is released.
Weighing in at 2.5kg, this is one of the best lightweight cordless hedge trimmers. It has a run time of about 45 minutes and a charging time of 1 hour. Bear in mind that its light and ergonomic design makes it comfortable and easy to use in different positions with minimum effort.
- It is safe to use thanks to the installed dual-safety trigger
- It comes with an ergonomic and easy to wield design
- Two batteries are included hence doubling your trimming duration
- Its lightweight and simple feature makes it efficient to use
- It works well for the vast majority of home garden uses
- Some users might find it to be too lightweight to work with
- Regular charging of the battery might reduce the battery life over time
- This hedge trimmer tends to get faulty after some time
What Are The Different Types Of Hedge Trimmers
There are different types of hedge trimmers to consider when shopping for one. However, it’s always advisable to settle for one that suits your preference, style and needs. Let’s take a look at different types of hedge trimmers.
Cordless Hedge Trimmers
Suppose you don’t have the time nor the inclination of maintaining a petrol cutter. Or, if you are looking for freedom of movement during hedge trimming, then a cordless hedge trimmer is an ideal option.
Bear in mind that the power of a hedge trimmer depends on the type of battery it has. However, most professional cordless hedge trimmers can cut through branches up to 25mm or more.
When purchasing this cordless hedge trimmer, it’s always advisable to consider its battery’s life per full charge. Note that a large capacity battery provides the user with prolonged trimming time.
It’s noteworthy to mention that battery-powered hedge trimmers are rechargeable. However, the quality and capacity of the batteries determine the charging time of these trimmers.
Some may be charged for a couple of hours, and others may require a full day or overnight charging.
Furthermore, cordless hedge trimmers tend to offer significantly more flexibility than electric and petrol hedge trimmers. Also, note that all cordless hedge trimmers come with a battery and charger. However, some models may require one to buy these accessories separately.
Electric Hedge trimmers
These are the most common trimmers used for domestic use since they are somehow economical for an average user. Not only do they require little maintenance, but also they can be used without the need for fuel or flat batteries.
When it comes to electric hedge trimmers, the power output depends on the model, but ordinarily, these trimmers have a power output that ranges between 450W to 900W.
Bear in mind that, regardless of the size and type of hedge, these hedge trimmers will get the job done.
Electric hedge trimmers are not only lightweight but are also easy to handle when trimming. It’s important to note that this type of hedge trimmer may not sit well with dense and complex to reach hedges.
Furthermore, being tethered to a power source tends to be the deal-breaker for many as one can accidentally cut the power cord while it’s in use.
Petrol Hedge Trimmers
Powerful and effective are terms that best describe petrol hedge trimmers. They are ideal for trimming thick and dense hedges since they pack a powerful punch.
Petrol powered hedge trimmers come with longer blades when compared to their electric hedge cutters.
They not only boast of being too noisy, but also they are the heaviest when compared to both electric and cordless trimmers. Bear in mind that a petrol hedge trimmer may produce unpleasant fumes when in use, and it typically requires regular maintenance.
Please note that petrol hedge trimmers are ideal for trimming the toughest garden hedges or for professional use.
What To Look For When Buying A Hedge Trimmer
That being said, let’s look at some of the essential factors you should consider when choosing the best cordless hedge trimmer.
Ease of Use
When shopping for a cordless hedge trimmer, it’s always wise to consider its ease of use. Please note that the ergonomics and weight can be used to determine whether or not you will love using the hedge trimmer.
Avoid settling for cordless hedge trimmers that may feel cumbersome and unbalanced when in use since they will make the hedge trimming process unpleasant and tiring.
Bear in mind that cordless telescopic and pole trimmers are ideal for trimming very tall hedges. They usually come with adjustable or pivoting cutting heads that allow one to work around the top and tricky areas of a garden hedge without using a ladder.
Furthermore, cordless hedge trimmers have an easy start-up even for novice users.
Blade type is another essential factor you should consider when selecting the best cordless hedge trimmer.
It’s noteworthy to mention the blade length and spacing of cordless trimmers varies from one brand to another. Trimmers with longer blades are suitable for bigger hedges as they can clip a larger area with every swipe.
On the flip side, cordless hedge trimmers with short blades work well with a more detailed and precise shaping.
Another thing to consider when it comes to blades is the material. The type of material a blade comes with tends to determine its durability. Note that diamond ground and laser cut blades are the sharpest and most durable blades.
Last but not least, hedge trimmers with a smaller gap between their teeth are ideal for young hedges. At the same time, those with large gap spaces between their teeth are suitable for thicker branches and hedges.
When selecting a cordless hedge trimmer, it’s always essential to consider its blade size. Bear in mind that blades can either be single or double-sided. Also, they come in different sizes. Blades sizes can also be used to determine how easy or hard the trimming job will be.
- 45cm or smaller is an ideal blade size for shrubs, weeds and small hedges.
- 49cm to 55cm blades are suitable for medium-sized hedges, and they can also tale on smaller tree branches and large bushes.
- 55cm and larger blades are typically designed for professional or commercial trimming. They also require a regular maintenance schedule since they take on very heavy works.
It’s noteworthy to mention that left-handed users may find it easy to use a hedge trimmer that comes with a double-sided blade. Most cordless hedge trimmers with single-handed blades are ideally designed for right-handed users.
When shopping for a cordless hedge trimmer, here are some of the essential features you should look out for;
Blade Brakes and Safety Switches
They are used to stop the blade from running once the trigger is released. This safety feature stops the running blade immediately instead of waiting for it to lose inertia gradually and stop on its own accord.
A safety switch in a cordless hedge cutter helps prevent the accidental activation of the trimmer. This switch has to be pressed down before the trigger can be used to activate the trimming blade.
Padded Front Handles and Shields
The padded front handles can reduce muscle fatigue and strain caused by the weight and vibration of a trimming machine. On the other hand, the front handle shield protects the user’s handle from slipping off the handle into the blade when trimming.
They are used to protect the blade from dust, debris and moisture when not in use. Furthermore, when storing away your cordless hedge trimmer, it’s advisable to use blade sheaths to cover the blades as they help prevent accidental blade injuries.
Safe Use of Your Cordless Hedge Trimmer
Before using any appliance, it’s always advisable to read the instruction manual. Note that cordless trimmers are no exception. Always go through your trimmers manual or instruction booklet before you begin any trimming works.
Here are some additional tips that will keep you safe when using your ideal cordless hedge trimmer.
Avoid Working at a Height
Bear in mind that a lightweight hedge trimmer is safe to use at shoulder level. However, if you lift the trimmer above your head, you dramatically increase the risk of injuring yourself. On the other hand, if you’re looking to trim hard to reach areas, you should settle for a telescopic trimmer that has long reach options instead of using a ladder.
Wear Protective Gear
Before you begin any trimming work, it’s always advisable to wear protective gear. So what do we mean by protective gear? Safety glasses for your eyes, close fit gloves and sleeves for your arms and noise cancellation headphones if you’re using a noisy hedge cutter.
Furthermore, always ensure to check if the safety features on your appliance are in check before you start using your appliance.
Is There a Difference Between a Hedge Trimmer and a Hedge Cutter?
Hedge trimmers are typically lightweight garden tools that are suitable for trimming smaller branches, shrubs and small sized-garden hedges. On the flip side, hedge cutters are more robust garden tools that work through much thicker shrubs, branches and medium-sized to large hedges. Please note that it’s always advisable to consider the type of trimming work you want to do before purchasing a hedge trimmer or cutter.
Well, that is it on our best cordless hedge trimmer UK reviews. Every option of the reviews above will definitely make an excellent choice.
However, if we have to choose an overall winner from our reviews, we would settle for our editors choice, the Einhell GE-CH 1846 Li-Solo Power X-Change cordless trimmer.
Not only does this 18V cordless hedge trimmer boasts a two-hand safety switch, but also it comes with an ergonomic handle that provides safe and accurate trimming in both vertical ad horizontal positions.
It also comes with laser-cut diamond blades, a metal gearbox and a cutting blade with a 46cm length that cuts up to 2200 cuts per minute. Lastly, this hedge trimmer works well with both small and medium-sized hedges.