Last Updated on September 1, 2021
Our editors independently research the best products online to produce this list. We may receive commission on purchases made from the links below but this will never affect our product choices.
- AL-KO Comfort 38P Combi-Care 2 in 1 Petrol Scarifier (Editor’s Choice)
- Bosch AVT 1100 Vertfi Cutter Lawn Raker (Luxury Choice)
- Wolf Garten Multi-Change Roller URM3 Moss Remover (Best Value)
There are great benefits in scarifying your lawn in the long term but it can make it look a mess following treatment. it Is done because it makes the grass thicker, healthier and makes for a well-kept garden.
Scarifying is a process in which a tool is used to remove moss and thatch from the top of your grass. The idea is that the unwanted material on top of your garden makes the movement of nutrients and oxygen to your grass harder. Removing it allows the grass to breathe and grow and ultimately more grass seeds are planted giving a fuller, less weedy lawn.
There are variations of scarifiers on the market, you could opt for a simple garden rake or a manual scarifier with wheels if you want to do it by hand. Though many gardens are quite big and it can be a tough job by hand, so we recommend using an electric scarifier for small to medium gardens and a petrol scarifier for larger gardens.
Below we have compiled a list of our top 10 picks of every type of scarifier, allowing you to make an informed choice when you buy. Many contain an aerator feature, this is where it cuts the soil to make it less compact so it can breathe again for better growth.
Best Lawn Scarifier Reviews – Top 10 Picks
The Flymo Lawnrake sports a 750-watt motor which is more than capable of removing all the dead grass and moss in your garden. It has a 34cm rake width and a large 34 litre collection box so you don’t have to empty it too often. It also has a window on the back so you can see how full it is without constantly stopping to check. It has 6 rake heights ranging from -5mm to +8mm adjustable by a lever so you can clean leaves and debris or break the surface. The lawnrake weights 12.6Kg and can be folded down with a height of only 46cm you can store it away easily. It may be worth throwing down some moss killer to fertilise your garden whilst also removing any unwanted growth whilst you can get it right in the ground.
- 6 rake heights ranging from -5mm to 8mm
- Folded height of only 46cm for easy storage
- 34 litre capacity with a window to see how full it is
The VonHaus 2 in 1 lawn scarifier and aerator has a massive 1500-watt motor making it ideal for very mossy and thick untouched lawns. It has a dual-purpose drum which fits two rollers, one for aerating and one for scarifying which are easily interchangeable. The collection box has a capacity of 28 litre giving you a decent amount of space before emptying. The cable spans 10 metres and the machine weighs 9.9kg in total. It has 4 working depths so you can clear above the ground or break into the surface. Vonhaus 2 in 1 also includes a 2-year warranty incase anything goes wrong. Whilst you temporarily ruin your garden, consider a greenhouse heater to keep your proud plants growing healthy.
- 10 Metres cable and weights only 9.9Kg
- Powerful 1500-watt motor for thick lawns
- Dual purpose drum for aerating and scarifying
The Bosch AVT has a good 1100-watt motor making it effective in clearing any lawn with its steel blades. It has a massive 50 litre collection box so it will need emptying far less than many others on this list. The steel blades have a working width of 32cm and have 4 adjustable height settings for a range of +5, 0, -5 and -10. While the adjustable heights allow it to act as a scarifier and aerator. It features a powerful ‘jet collect system’ which works to collect more material than other scarifiers, though it has been known to fill up a lot faster that others since it does a fine job. The Bosch AVT is lightweight at only 9.9Kg and despite its larger appearance a foldable handle and a stackable collection box allows compaction to only 40cm high for easy storage.
- Lightweight at only 9.9kg and a folded height of 40cm
- Jet collection system’ does a great job in scarifying
- Massive 50 litre collection box for less frequent emptying
The lawn raker from BLACK+DECKER has a smaller 600W motor and is suitable for small to medium sized lawns. It has a raking working width of 30cm and features 3 adjustable height settings so you can adjust relevant to the job. It has a capacity of 30 litres giving a decent storage before you have to empty and it is quite easy to see how full it is without detaching the collection box. The BLACK+DECKER has a safety switch which will cut the power to the motor as soon as you let go of the handle which is great in emergencies. The cable is a decent 10 metres long and the machine overall weighs only 7Kg and folds for convenient storage. If you’re redoing your garden consider some exterior wood paint to make everything a little nicer and brighter.
- Very lightweight at 7Kg and budget scarifier
- 30 Litre capacity with easy to see leftover room
- Safety switch for quick turn-off
The 2 in 1 petrol lawnrake/scarifier from AL-KO has a powerful 1300-watt motor great for medium to large gardens. It has a massive working width of 38cm and a five-stage working depth adjustment changeable by a lever on the side. Changing from the lawnrake to the scarifier drum without need for tools makes for easy swapping when needed. It has a massive 55 litre collection bag so you won’t need to empty it regularly. Being petrol there is no limit to the distance it can traverse before having to move the plug, making it great for larger gardens though the engine can be difficult to start at times. The AL-KO comfort 38P weights a hefty 20Kg since it has a petrol engine, whilst its electric counter-part still weighs 14Kg and the folded height is 38cm for easy storage.
- 55 litre capacity and easy to see how much room left
- Petrol so no limit on how far it can move before moving the cable
- Massive 38cm working width for blades
The Bosch ALR Electric Lawn Raker looks pretty much the same as the Bosch AVT 1100 Verti-cutter, it has a slightly lower price tag and a slightly smaller motor at 900W. It is great for medium sizes gardens with the same ‘jet collect system’ feature which increases the rate of collection as it passes over your lawn. It has a 32cm working width and 4 adjustable raking heights rankings from +10mm down to -5mm dependent on the job. It has a 50-litre collection bag which is more than ample space before having to empty. It weighs a decently light 11Kg, has a 2-year guarantee and is 39cm tall when folded for easy storage. Once grown back use your cordless strimmer to clear up the edges or untouched parts.
- Only 11Kg and 39cm tall when folded
- 50 litre capacity and easy to click off for emptying
- Jet collect system gets even more from your lawn
The first manual scarifier on our list is the Wolf Garten Multi-Change URM3, ideal for anyone who wants to do it manually and ideal for a smaller lawn. It works by a pendulum action in that the blades glide over the lawn when pushing and cuts into the thatch and moss when pulling giving it an advantage over a standard rake. It has a decent working width of 30cm for thick thatch but remember the tougher it is the tougher your job will be. It weighs only 2kg, though the only time you will be lifting it is to move it, not during. It has a 10-year guarantee and makes an ideal scarifier for those opting for the manual method. It doesn’t come with a handle but can be used with 11 different handles available in the range along with 50 other tool heads.
- Over 50 tools fit the handles for convenience and less storage
- Pendulum action for ease when using
- 30cm working width and weighs only 2Kg
This dual purpose scarifier and aerator, the Einhell 1231 has an electric 1200-watt motor ideal for medium sized lawns. The blades are easily interchangeable dependant on the job where the scarifier spike drum has eight double blades and the aerator has 42 claws. The machine has three adjustable depths which you can select by a lever and a parking position to stop. It has a 28-litre collection bag which is one of the smallest on our list so you should expect to empty it fairly often. It weights a light 10Kg and when folded is only 43cm high for efficient and easy storage. The wire is a standard 10 metres so you have a fairly good distance before having to move the plug or use an extension cable. Once finished temporarily ruining your garden get a nice chiminea to go with your thick grass.
- Dual purpose drums for scarifying and aerating
- Parking lever for stopping or taking a break
- Powerful 1200-watt motor ideal for medium sized lawns
The final manual scarifier on our list is the Darlac lawn scarifier for a cheaper alternative to motor machines making them only ideal for smallish gardens. It has a telescopic handle which has a simple twist lock mechanism which ranges from 97cm to 1.5m creating a comfortable working height for anyone. It has 11 blades for good clearance of thatch and moss though unlike the other manual on our list it does not have a pendulum feature so pushing it will dig into the lawn making it less easy to use. It weighs only 1.9Kg and is ideal for someone looks for a cheap standard manual scarifier, though personal I feel the Wolf Garten is better and holds a similar price. When your garden is all done consider items such as a cantilever parasol to really spruce up the aesthetic of your home.
- Adjustable handle from 97cm to 1.5m
- 11 blades for good clearance of thatch and moss
- Simple manual scarifier with decent reviews
If you need a scarifier and aerator for a medium to large lawn look no further than the Einhell GE-SA petrol scarifier/aerator. It has a powerful 4 stroke engine, 1300-watt motor and a 1 litre petrol tank making it ideal for a lawn up to 1000 metres square. Like the other Einhell on our list the rollers are easily interchangeable in which the scarifier has 20 stainless steel blades and the aerator has 26 claws. It has 3 adjustable height settings to suit different growths and conditions. The bag holds up to 28L which is quite small for a petrol scarifier especially when its designed for a big lawn though it’s not the end of the world. It weighs 18Kg and when folded has a height of 46cm for easy storage. Finish up the edges with some edging shears.
- Interchangeable aerator and scarifier drums
- 4 stroke petrol engine suitable for lawns up to 1000 metres square
- 3 adjustable height settings for varied growth
Buyers Guide for Lawn Scarifiers
Oversized gardens with dense foliage can create an unruly mess. Not only does the yard look messy and untidy, but it also attracts pests, insects, and animals. Overgrown moss, lichen, and rot can cause severe health issues and can even cause accidents due to slipping or falling. To keep your lawn and garden manicured, you should invest in a few tools. One of these is a Lawn Scarifier.
A lawn scarifier refers to a dethatcher, which is a useful tool to clean your gardens. This device is well-designed to cut through soil that helps in removing all dead moss plus other debris such as grass cuttings and other organic material.
How to Choose the Best Lawn Scarifier?
Though there are several varieties of lawn scarifiers available in the market, your choice depends mainly on the state or position of your lawn.
Some useful tips to help you select the best lawn scarifier:
- Excellent quality of metal teeth blades
- In-depth teeth of scarifier aerate a lawn by pricking holes in it. Opt for one that suits your soil type.
- Width of the cutting blade helps reduce the time spent using the lawn scarifier and helps save time and energy in the long term.
- For small or medium-sized green, consider an electric scarifier.
- For large lawns, it is best to use petrol scarifiers.
Things to Consider When Buying a Lawn Scarifier
- The most expensive part of the lawn scarifier machine is its motor. If you are going to buy a powerful engine on a cheap device, you should first check to ensure it will cover the entire expanse of your garden. In addition, you should also check if the motor is long-lasting.
- If your garden is extensive, then it is best to select a powerful motor which can make your task easy and quick. Along with doing a better job, a strong and powerful engine can withstand heavy loads for a longer time.
- You can easily find grass scarifiers and aerating tools along with an interchangeable head at a lower price point. Budget machines are the ones that attract the attention of buyers. Buy such budget models only if you have to use them over a small garden. Aerating drums of lawn scarifiers have blades which can make slits in the surface of the soil. Don’t set the machine for too low since it may cause undue stress on the functioning, and may have operational issues in the long term.
- Lawn scarifying machines are commonly angled on its springs that are attached to rotating drums. The accessories and tools of the machine are designed to loosen soft dead moss. For this reason, you should avoid stones, sticks, and fallen bark. All machines come with a collection box. Depending on the size of the machine, you may get a small collection box or a large one.
Height adjustment facility: There are many electric lawn scarifiers with height adjustment facilities to help all ages. Height adjustment also helps the machine go deeper into the grass and pull out dead moss. It is a useful quality which you should check before buying a lawn scarifier. However, it is better to start the machine on its highest setting, and then gradually decrease to a lower setting as it starts pulling bits of the thatch out and scarifying the grass. Most lawn scarifiers come with three levels and are usually sufficient for cleaning out medium to extensive gardens.
Blades: The best lawn scarifier that you can buy is one with sharp knife blades. These knife blades help in the precise removal of all dead moss and thatch. For this reason, electric grass scarifiers are in high demand as they can rotate down into the grass with all its vertical blades and give a clean and precise cut without any loss of healthy grass.
Brands: There are several known brands, like Bosch, Black and Decker, which are well-known in the field of garden care. They have some excellent variants of lawn scarifiers that you can avail. The Flymo Lawn Raker is another excellent machine and is also compact in terms of storage, plus it works better by removing dead thatch efficiently. The capacity box found in Bosch lawn scarifier can collect a whopping 50 litres, which is more than several others in the market. Most of these brands also offer a warranty with their machines. They also offer replacement of faulty parts for a set time.