Last Updated on November 1, 2021
Our editors independently research the best products online to produce this list. We may receive commission on purchases made from the links below but this will never affect our product choices.
Top 10 Best Budget Mig Welders
- Sealey MIGHTYMIG150 Professional (Editor’s Choice)
- R-Tech MIG 180A 240V Portable Inverter (Luxury Choice)
- Dirty Pro Tools™ Professional (Best Value)
- HITBOX Portable Gasless
- GYS 031876 EASYMIG 140-140 A
- Röhr MIG 200MI 3-in-1
- Clarke MIG151EN 240V 150A Turbo
- Wolf MIG 130 Portable Turbo
- GASLESS 130 Flux Core
- Sealey SUPERMIG180 Professional
Whether you are a DIY enthusiast or a training welder, the art of welding is something you should learn by trial and error. It’s safe to mention that a MIG welder can be a great addition to your toolkit.
Bear in mind that the best MIG welder will give you an excellent solution for everything from mechanical tasks to automotive work and even hobby or DIY welding. These machines are not only easy to use but also deliver quality results.
However, shopping for a budget MIG welder can be a daunting task. But, worry not, we have compiled a list of 10 to help you choose the best budget MIG welder in the UK. Read on!
Budget Mig Welder Reviews
Starting off our best budget MIG welder list is the MIGHTYMIG150 Professional, from the Sealey brand. This MIG welding machine comes with a forced air-cooling system and a heavy-duty transformer with high power output.
Not only does this machine boast of a proven wired system that ensures you don’t encounter setbacks during welding. But also, it comes with heatproof cables and a contoured handle for easy control.
It’s noteworthy to mention that the Sealey MIGHTYMIG150 Professional comes with the set-up in gas mode. You can also switch it to glasses mode by changing the polarity.
On the downside, you may be required to purchase a gas conversion kit for this welding machine.
- Easy to use
- It can be used for both home and work-base welding
- Its forced air system increases the duty cycle
- Comfort grip
- Works well with thicker materials
- Some users might find the wired feed motor to be of poor quality
- One might be required to purchase the gas conversion kit separately
- It might not be ideal for spot welding
If you’re looking for the best portable MIG welder, then the R-Tech MIG 180A 240V Portable Inverter is an excellent choice. This welding machine is designed solely for use with inert gas and comes with all the fittings, including the hose. With 180amps, this MIG welder is ideal for both commercial and home use.
Not only does it boast a compact size, but also it comes equipped with all accessories that you might need for welding. The accessories include a spool gun and torch for aluminium welding, hose and regulator.
Furthermore, it also has a high-quality build, and it can withstand the test of time thanks to its sturdy casing. Last but not least, it’s easy to set up and use.
- It can be used to weld most weldable metals
- It has a smooth and a low spatter
- Easy to read and follow manual
- It has a high-performance output
- High-quality professional welding machine
- The loud fan might not sit well with some users
- It may not sit well with basic welding
- Some users may not sit well with its lack of display for both the voltage and amps
The Dirty Pro Tools™ Professional is a high-quality MIG welder that comes with a tone of accessories. These include a helmet, a welding wire brush, a clipping hammer, and an earth clamp. So if you’re looking for a high-quality welding machine created with durability in mind, this is an excellent option.
With four different power settings, the Dirty Pro Tools™ Professional gives you the flexibility to choose the strategy that best suits you.
It also boasts of a variable wire speed control and the Flux that protects the system. Bear in mind that no gas is required for this MIG welder; also, it uses both the flux-cored wire and the filler wire.
Furthermore, the turbo cooling fan on this welding machine not only ensures that it’s working at its optimal condition. But also, it helps in extending its duty cycle. When it comes to portability, one can use the helper handle on top of the MIG welder.
- It has a turbo-fan cooling system
- It comes with accessories such as Helmet, Wire brush, earth clump, and chipping hammer
- It has an overheating red-light warning
- It serves as a multi-purpose welding machine
- Ideal for both DIY and professional welding
- Some users might find the welding mask to be too dark
- Overheating may be experienced when it’s in use
- Some users might find it to be challenging to set up
Simple, convenient are terms that best describe the HITBOX Portable Gasless 120A 220. It boasts three functions, but it also has a 30% higher work efficiency than traditional ARC machines. It also has a simple control panel that is easy to operate even for a novice user.
The HITBOX Portable Gasless 120A 220 comes with an adjustable wire feed speed and power settings. It also has an automatic overheating and overcurrent protection system. This prevents the machine from overheating and the current from exceeding its range.
This 3 in 1 MIG/TIG/Arc welder features three- louvred windows and fans that help in cooling the machine down when it’s in use.
Furthermore, please keep in mind that both the earth clamp and MIG torch are undetachable from this MIG welding machine. However, one of its downsides is that the TIG torch of this machine is bought separately.
- Faster spot welding of ultra-thin plates
- Has an automatic overheating and current protection system
- It has a variable wire speed control, and power settings feature to suit your application
- The convenient Flux-Cored wire works well without gas
- Best mig welder for beginner
- Some users might find it relatively small and light for a multi-functional item
- Some users might find it quite small and light for a multi-functional welding machine
- It may not be suitable for welding at low amperage
The GYS 031876 EASYMIG 140 A 230V MIG welder is a solid option if you’re looking for the best professional MIG welder. This semi-automatic machine combines cored wire, MIG/MAG, and MMA welding processes.
The GYS 031876 EASY MIG 140 A 230V comes equipped with a fixed torch, earth clamp, and electrode holder. Its user-friendly interface on this welding machine is easy to use, and its ultra-weight nature makes it easy to carry around.
This MIG welder is suitable for welding aluminium, steel, and stainless steel. It also comes with a reinforced mechanical structure that has a sturdy build. It’s also equipped with pads at both the front and back that help absorbs vibration and shock.
- It comes with a 3 in 1 semi-automatic 140A inverter welder
- Ideal for steel and stainless steel welding
- Easy to use and maintain
- Variable wire speed settings
- Uses flux-core wires
- It may not sit well with heavy welding jobs
- This MIG welder may not be ideal for aluminium weld
- It might not withstand the test of time
Compact and affordable are terms that best describe the Rohr MIG Welder Inverter Gas/Gasless 3-in-1 IGBT 240V. This arc welder boasts thermal overload protection that runs for about 60% of the duty cycle. Also, it comes with essential accessories that make your welding work a breeze.
The design of this arc welding machine is also intuitive making it a piece of ideal equipment for DIY users and professional welders. Its also easy to use, and it can carry a wide variety of welding activities.
Bear in mind that this MIG welder can run through a 5-position voltage control selector with an input voltage that ranges between 110volts to 120 volts.
- It features an anti-stick, auto hot start, arc force stabilization, and thermal overload protection system
- Ideal for smooth welding of thick metal
- It comes with plenty of accessories – clipping hammer, wire brush, earth clamp, and mask
- The built-in design is Ideal for both DIY and experienced MIG welders
- This Arc welding appliance can be used on all steels
- The aluminium wire might be soft and snag easily
- The supplied user manual might lack some important information
- It might lack a regulator
If you’re looking for the best gas MIG welder machine that works well with your home-based projects, then the Clarke MIG151EN 240V 150A Turbo is an ideal choice.
This MIG welding machine comes with a professional torch, a professional wire drive motor and wire feed and gas. Also, it features multiple power settings that have optimum power control settings.
The Clarke MIG151EN 240V 150A Turbo boasts a thermal overload protection system that gives you peace of mind during the welding process. It also has extra tough protection edging on both the front and rear of the appliance.
Its rotary system also allows one to choose the level of performance they require with ease. Additionally, the wheels on this appliance make it portable.
- It comes with a powerful Wire Drive Motor
- It has a Thermal Overload Protection
- It has an extra tough protective edging on both the front and back
- Provision to carry an extra gas bottle
- This welding equipment is highly durable
- The short handle of the appliance might not sit well with some users
- Juddering may be encountered at times
- The wire feeder may get faulty at times
If you’re looking for a MIG welder that is ideal for your DIY projects, then the Wolf MIG130 Portable Turbo is an excellent choice. Not only does it boast a changeable wire speed, but also it comes with an array of helpful features.
Furthermore, it can switch from no-gas to gas-based welding effortlessly. It’s noteworthy to mention that no tools are required for a non-gas weld while using this welding machine.
The Wolf MIG130 Portable Turbo also comes with additional accessories, including a spool, flux-cored wire, and a wire brush. Its non-live torches are simple and easy to use.
Also, the variable speed control ensures that one can adjust the performance o the welder to suit the type of welding.
It’s also important to note that this MIG welder comes with an inbuilt turbo-system that ensures high quality extended welding cycles.
- Simple polarity changing
- This MIG welding machine comes with a wire brush
- It is installed with a Mini Spool Flux-core wire
- The turbo-fan ensures long term use
- Has a variable wire speed control
- The quality of the supplied mask might not sit well with some users
- Some users may find the wire feed system to be too complicated
- The fixed torch may not be ideal for every user
The GASLESS MIG 130 Welder Flux is one of the best gasless MIG welders UK stores have to offer. Not only is it simple to use, but also it works well on both thin and thick materials.
This MIG welder comes with an adjustable four-power setting and a fully adjustable wire feeder speed, making welding a breeze.
The gasless operation of this MIG welder makes it ideal for outdoor welding, even in windy conditions. Bear in mind that this MIG welder has an automatic overheating and overcurrent protection system that prevents the machine from overheating and the current from exceeding its range. The turbo-fan cooling system also ensures that the machine doesn’t overheat when in use.
- This gasless MIG welder is lightweight and portable
- Has an excellent working performance
- It comes with four adjustable welding speed settings functions
- It has an adjustable wire feed speed system
- Ideal for welding stainless steel and mild steel without gas
- The lowest power setting might still be relatively high for most welding applications
- Spattering may be experienced when the appliance is in use
- Some users might find it to be less convenient since it cant be used with gas
If you’re looking for the best MIG welder under £500 in the UK, then the Sealey SUPERMIG180 Professional MIG welder is an excellent choice.
Not only is this high-quality MIG welder ideal for industrial jobs, but also it can be used at home for any basic DIY projects. It’s noteworthy to mention that this welding machine sits well with both Argon and Co2 gasses.
The Sealey SUPERMIG180 Professional Mig welder comes with a forced-air solution that cools down your machine during the welding process. Thus, allowing one to extend welding times without overheating the MIG welder.
It also comes with a non-live torch that is fitted into its system, and the Coz/Argon regulator also helps in limiting the risks of dangerous mistakes when welding. This MIG welder also comes with two contact tips and a gas cup as well.
- Easy to use
- An industrial gas regulator is included
- Suitable for welding with Argon and CO2
- 30% hassle-free duty cycle
- Has quality thermal overload protection
- This MIG welder may require a higher amp power supply
- It may not be ideal for home-welding
- Some users may find it less convenient as the voltage is not displayed
What Is a Mig Welder Used For?
A metal inert gas welder is a handy appliance for making home DIY projects and other professional welding tasks. It can also be used in making repairs and for the fabrication of small structures.
These welding appliances are ideal for one who needs a good welding capacity but on a strict budget and minimum power consumption. Welders are known to have wider applicability to metals, long-pass capability and cleanliness.
What to Consider When Buying a Mig Welder
Now that you know what a MIG welder is. Whether you’re looking forward to purchasing a MIG welder for your basic DIY projects or professional gigs, here are some factors that you need to consider.
Kind Of Weld
When shopping for a gasless or a gas welder is always wise to keep in mind the kind of welding you’re going to be doing. Ensure that you consider the appliance’s output and if it sits well with the kind of materials you’ll be working with.
Bear in mind, the thicker the metal, the more power you’re going to need in your MIG welder. On the flip side, if your welding machine requires to use more than 100 volts, you will probably need to connect it to a power supply.
If you’re in pursuit of a welding machine that can offer you an extended service life, then settle for one that comes with thermal protection.
This feature will not only shut down the MIG welder once the engine starts overheating. But also, it will restart the system once it senses that the engine has cooled down. This helps in extending the service life of your welding machine without hampering your time and work.
Optionally, you can settle for MIG welders that come with UV thermal insurance. This type of thermal protection ensures that the cooling system doesn’t overheat even if the MIG welder is used for a long time.
The duty cycle in MIG welding equipment informs one on how long the welder can run per time. Bear in mind that this is an important feature to consider when shopping for one. Since after identifying the welding jobs that you will be conducting, you need to look at its duty cycle.
Ensure that the duty cycle and the welding task to be carried out with the MIG welder are reasonable. Keep in mind the price of a MIG welder tends to correlates with the duty cycle.
Also, it’s noteworthy to mention that welders with a short duty cycle are not suitable for welding materials with higher thickness.
Size, Portability, and Weight
To settle for the right MIG welder that suits all your needs, you need to consider its size, weight and portability. If you are looking for a metal inert gas welding machine that you can easily move around with, consider the lightweight and portable machine.
However, ensure that the reduction in weight doesn’t lead to compromise on power or performance.
When shopping for a MIG welder, always ensure that you settle for one that comes with a spool gun, as this will allow you to weld aluminium.
Bear in mind that a spool gun ensures that you get the best results from your DIY work, especially when you’re on aluminium.
Flux Core, Gas or Both
While some MIG welders may require gas to protect the weld, other models may use a flux core wire. Some might also allow you to switch between the two when welding.
So when shopping for MIG welders, it’s always important to factor in this feature, especially if you’re going to be working in different locations. Keep in mind that a gasless MIG welder allows one to conduct outdoor welding.
On the flip side, if you’re looking for a professional finish in your weld, we would recommend going for shielding gas. This is where semi-inert gas contained in a gas bottle is forced around the welding pool while you’re working on your weld.
That is it for our best budget MIG welder reviews in the UK. We hope that this article helps you find the best MIG welder that sits well with your welding duties.
On the other hand, if we’re to pick an overall winner from our best budget MIG welder in the UK, then we would settle for our editors choice, the Sealey MIGHTYMIG150 Professional gas/no gas MIG welder.
This welding appliance comes with a non-live torch for comfort grip, 1.8m earth cable, 1mm contact tip, 0.45 KG flux-cored wire and a 1m gas hose. It is ideal for hobbyists, light industrial users and professionals.